Lots of people want to know more about the benefits of dental implants in Gramercy Park. A common concern they have is whether others will be able to tell that they have implants. The answer is no. Dental implants are indistinguishable from healthy natural teeth. The only way anyone can tell that you have implants is by running an x-ray test on your jaw.
The Disadvantages of Traditional Dentures
The problem of missing teeth has existed for as long as humans have walked the earth. Even those who brush and floss three times a day can suffer from dental problem due to physical trauma or hereditary factors.
Dentist have developed a variety of restorative treatments over the years, including traditional dentures. But most of these approaches suffer from a number of troubling disadvantages. These include:
- Bone loss. The bones in your jaw need the stimulation provided by natural teeth if they’re to stay strong and healthy. When they don’t get this stimulus, they may begin to deteriorate due to a process called resorption. This can have serious aesthetic and functional consequences for the patient.
- Lifestyle restrictions. This is especially the case with traditional dentures, which require liquid adhesives in order to stay in place. Denture wearers must often use extra care when playing sports, exercising, speaking, or attending social functions. They’re often forced to give up many of their favorite foods.
- Personal and emotional challenges. The problems associated with traditional dentures can cause patients to withdraw from others, leading to depression and loneliness.
Implants: The Modern Solution for Missing Teeth
Dental implants avoid the problems associated with traditional dentures by relying on the bones beneath your gum line for support, just like healthy natural teeth.
Your dentist in Gramercy Park will place a series of titanium fixtures directly into your jaw. These will serve as the support for the restoration. Here’s why this is a better approach than traditional dentures:
- No worries about bone loss. Implants provide the stimulation needed to keep your facial bones healthy.
- No chance of embarrassing accidents. With implants, there’s no chance of the restoration coming loose at the worst possible time. You’ll be able to converse, attend social activities, eat a healthy diet, and, in general, live life on your own terms.
- Long-term advantages. Dental implants can last from 20 years to a lifetime with proper care. Compare this to traditional dentures, which require resizing on a periodic basis to compensate for body changes.
Enjoying the most benefit from your new implants means cultivating good self-care habits. These include regular brushing and flossing, eating plenty of nutritious, wholesome foods, drinking alcohol only in moderation, avoiding all forms of tobacco and vaping devices, and limiting sugary and starchy foods to occasional treats.
In today’s world there’s no reason for anyone to suffer needlessly from tooth loss. Talk to your dentist about implants and other restoration options during your next appointment. You’ll soon be smiling at the results.
About the Author
Dr. Ira Newman is a native New Yorker who originally hails from Queens. Dr. Newman earned his DDS degree from Emory University’s prestigious school of dental medicine in Atlanta. You can reach his office online or by calling (212) 924-6890.