Losing things can be incredibly frustrating. Everyone knows the feeling of frantically looking for the misspaced item. This holds true even for your Invisalign aligners! When your treatment has been progressing toward your straighter smile, it can be alarming when your trays disappear. Here is what to do so you can keep your Invisalign treatment on track!
Remain Calm and Retrace Your Steps
Losing aligners is not uncommon so you are not alone. While it can feel stressful because you don’t want an interruption on the road to your beautiful smile, it is perfectly solvable. Take a breath and retrace your steps. Aligners often get lost when they are taken out during mealtimes. You might have wrapped them in a napkin to keep them safe or placed them on a tray near your plate. They could easily be mistaken for garbage. Be sure to take a deep look near your dining area and in any nearby trash bins. If you happen to find your aligner, you should thoroughly clean it before placing it in your mouth.
Reach out to Your Dentist
If you cannot find your Invisalign trays despite your best effort, now it is time to call your dentist as soon as possible. This is key in not interfering with your treatment. It is important to not take matters into your own hands. Your dentist will advise you of your next steps, which could possibly be:
- Switching to a new set of aligners. This may be an option if you were only a few days from moving on to the next aligner in your treatment. However, you should not do this without your dentist’s approval. Moving to a new aligner too quickly can cause significant discomfort and other issues.
- Returning to an old set of aligners. Wearing a previous aligner can prevent your teeth from shifting too far out of place while you wait for your orthodontist to receive a replacement for the one that got lost.
As the saying goes, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” As soon as you begin treatment, it is best to put some routines in place to keep your aligners from disappearing, such as:
- Always place your aligners in their case whenever you remove them.
- Keep your aligners in as much as you can. Only remove them when it’s necessary, like eating or drinking something other than water, or cleaning your teeth.
- Don’t place them on a plate, tray, or wrap them in a napkin. This is when they are most likely accidentally thrown away or lost.
When your Invisalign aligners are misplaced or lost, there is no need to worry! Keep these tips in mind and contact your dentist; you will be back on your way to a picture-perfect smile in no time.
About the Author
Dr. Ira Newman and his team at Gramercy Dental Studio proudly serve New York at three different offices. He trained at the prestigious Dawson Center for Advanced Dentistry and is a member of the Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (ACD). With a 5-star rating on Google, Dr. Newman will expertly guide you through your Invisalign treatment so you can achieve your dream smile! To schedule a consultation, contact him through his website or call (516) 407-9638.